Saturday, January 31, 2009

Last few days (Marisa's point of view)

I'm making John type because the chest tube keeps me from reaching the computer. The morning of the second surgery was a little overwhelming.

I remember more from the beginning of this surgery than the last one. I remember getting on the operating table and having the O2 mask put on. They gave me Valium which tends to cause amnesia. I don't remember anything about the operating room from the first surgery.

Nausea wasn't as bad this time. The anesthesiologist gave me a patch before the surgery. There are five risk factors used to calculate one's odds of getting nauseous during surgery. I have four of the five. Did you know that smoking reduces the risk of post-surgery nausea? I should have had a Lucky (John's words).

The first night in ICU was a little ruff. I had to take Fentanyl shots several times to reduce the pain. At least I got more ice chips this time. My arterial lines were stuck in my feet this time rather than my arms because I had so much bruising from the last time. My face was more swollen this time, although I haven't looked at myself yet. According to the doctor, one of the aneurysms was pushing on the left optic nerve.

I couldn't eat anything the next day because I was scheduled for an angiogram. After lunch I found out about my punctured lung. The thorasic surgeon and neurosurgens came and talked to me about my collapsed lung. They wan't to wait until after the lung was under control before proceeding with the angiogram. John downplayed the pain experienced during chest tube insertion in his last post. At least they were able to go with a smaller tube than normal. The usual tube diameter is slightlyt smaller than a garden hose. I asked if they could use a smaller tube and they did it for me. The smaller tube required an ultrasound machine to help guide insertion. The standard tube can be put in place without one. I'm glad they took the extra step. The angiogram was put on hold for a day which allowed me to eat dinner (if you call chicken broth, jello and orange serbert dinner). This wound up being my only meal between Tuesday night and Friday night.

I finally had my angiogram yesterday (Friday) around 2:30. The doctor said everything looks good. It is always tuff staying still for six hours after an angiogram (movement can re-open the artery where the catheter is inserted). At least I got to eat a normal meal thanks to my Mom.

Today (Saturday) has been good. Unfortantely my lung is still not healed. The chest tube is going to stay in for at least another 24 hours. The doctors said I should try to walk around. I'm going to try after lunch.

Each day I've gotten a little better. Thank-you FM6 for the fruit basket and card.

Here are some pictures from the ICU.

2 comments:

  1. Marisa,

    The worst is now behind you. You look really good! Bill and I are praying for your quick recovery. I have returned to spin class and the gym. It is slow going but at least it makes me feel better. Get lots of rest and take care of yourself. John, lots of pampering and a burger (plus sweet potato fries) are in order. We can't wait to see you guys when you return home.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There Champ! You had us worried...I've been thinking of you all day. I promise not to ever make or offer you Jello and orange sherbert. (LOL) :) I have to admit you are the prettiest hospital patient I ever saw...other than a baby and sometimes that is debatable.(LOL). We miss you...I can't wait to see you.
    John and the Ng's, You are doing great. Keep our girl smiling. :) (:

    ReplyDelete