[J] Marisa is through her aneurysm repair surgery. Everything went well. Clips were placed on two aneurysms and some sort of gauze was placed on the other two to add strength. The strengthened aneurysms were too small to be treated by the common practices of clipping or coiling. The doctors will monitor them.
We've seen Marisa once so far. They had just given her pain medication, so she was only semi-conscious. When asked how she was feeling, I think she told me to go have another cheese burger from In-N-Out. I'm pretty sure she'd want it to be a 4x4.
The doctor said we can expect her to have a good shiner. So far she just has a little swelling. Dr. Steinberg was surprised that she hasn't had any vision problems. The largest aneurysm was pushing on her optic nerve. After the clip was in place, they popped it to relieve pressure on the nerve (they used a fancier word than "popped").
Marisa has been a little nervous since last night. She thought she was having problems articulating her thoughts. She also thought she was slurring a bit. Marisa was the only one to notice though. Dr. S. wasn't too concerned. He said speech problems are not unheard of after bypass surgery. He expects any speech problems to disappear after the brain gets used to the new-found blood flow. Marisa wasn't sure if she was having a problem or imagining one. Maybe this is what happens before genius sets in.
We owe Dr. Steinberg and his team a big thank-you. They saved Marisa from certain disability or death two weeks in a row. Judging by the number of Steinberg patients I see around the hospital, I would guess they do the same for 5 - 10 others each week. I know they're over the 600 mark on Moyamoya patients alone.
John, I'm so glad the surgery went well. Marisa has been in my thoughts all day. Let her know it's ok get tongue tied, it happens to me all the time. LOL :) Give Marisa great big hug from me.
ReplyDeleteHang in there! You are doing great.
John/Marisa,
ReplyDeleteI am glad all has gone well for you guys (and your new friends). You have been in our thoughts and prayers since you started your journey. Sounds like you will be back home before you know it. It has been comforting to read your blog and to stay in touch with you during this experience. Thanks for keeping us informed and I am so happy for you and your families that all is going well. Look forward to seeing you when you get back. Now go take care of that wife of yours-give her a big hug and tell her to get well soon. See ya soon-Jeff