Monday, January 19, 2009

Eve before the big day

I'm not talking about the historic presidential inauguration. I will miss all of that, since tomorrow is the day I've been looking forward to (not really) since I got here...my direct bypass surgery. Yeah!

I have several bits of news, since my last entry...

Last night I got a call from our new friend Lily who informed us that she got a call that her husband's (John) surgery got rescheduled for Monday morning...today. She told me that Dr. Steinberg had a death in the family and was going out of town on Wednesday. My surgery is still on schedule for tomorrow morning (whew!), but I was hoping that Dr. Steinberg would be around during my recovery period.

I finally got some news regarding the left side of my head. This morning I got an email from Teresa (Dr. Steinberg's nurse) that Dr. Steinberg was concerned with the aneurysms on the left side of my head and was recommending that I get them surgically clipped. Based on the angiogram I had last Wednesday, the interventional radiologist did not think these aneurysms were good candidates for the coiling procedure. We will have to talk with Dr. Steinberg tomorrow to get more details, but from what I've found on the internet the aneurysm clipping procedure is similar to the bypass surgery I will be getting. This means that I will have to get my head drilled open twice. Unfortunately, they cannot perform both surgeries at the same time. I will have to wait at least a week before they can operate on the left side of my head. This extends our stay here a bit, but I want to get everything over with while I'm here. At least I'll be balanced with titanium screws on both sides of my head after these surgeries. We'll know more when we see Dr. Steinberg tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of you all weekend. Many prayers will be will with you tomorrow from all of us. Have John keep us posted when he gets a chance.
    Hugs coming @ ya! :)
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa & John

    Through all of this you have both had strength along with the love and support of so many people who believe in you. You're in our thoughts and prayers tonight and tomorrow.

    Our love, Mom and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're wishing you the best. Hang in there and let them pamper you a little bit when you come out of surgery. John - take care of that girl!

    ReplyDelete