Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Home sweet home

We finally got home last night. After over six weeks in California, I never thought I'd be so happy to be home in Florida. I survived the plane ride...whew! I was able to sit for both legs of the flight without having to pop any painkillers. The nerve pain is subsiding day by day.

I had my last appointment with Dr. Steinberg on Monday which went well. He was able to show us images from my last CT scan of the aneurysm on the artery on my heart. As a neurosurgeon he could not really gives us much details. He and Teresa did recommend finding a cardio-thoracic surgeon at Shands to ensure the best care. They both recommended that I give the nerve irritation in my lower back another month to fully heal. Teresa said to avoid lifting anything over 10 lbs until then. Hopefully this means I'll be able to get back on a bike by that time. For now, I am commited to walking.

Since we had to fly back, we found it too costly and a hastle to ship the walker back to Florida. (Plus, I've been off the walker for the last couple days.) We decided to donate the walker to the hospital wing that I was in during both my stays. It felt good to know that another patient would have the opportunity to use the walker, instead of letting it collect dust. We had a chance to visit Diana, who was my nurse during the majority of both of my stays in the hospital. Some of the other nursing staff were also there and I think everyone was surprised to see me without the walker, IV stand, or hospital gown.

2 comments:

  1. YAH! I'm so glad to hear you made it home safely! Please let us know when you are up for visitors. We would love to see you guys again! If you need anything, please let me know! Love and miss you and I pray you continue to recover with such great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it feels great to be back home. You'll be back to your active self in no time at all. John - make sure she takes time to rest once in a while though! Take care and I hope you continue to write about your progress.

    ReplyDelete