Monday, March 2, 2009

It's so good to be home

This past weekend was our first weekend at home it over six weeks. I've said it before, but it's soooo nice to be home. I've been trying to do a little more each day in an effort to regain my strength and gain my mobility back. My leg muscles still seem weak...after walking about 2 miles, my muscles started to ache as if I had ran it.

The nerve pain in my lower spine is getting better each day. I think I may be able to get back on a bike in another couple of weeks...maybe. Three weeks ago, I was scared to death wondering if I'd be able to walk again when the pain was so bad. Two weeks ago, I could barely walk 30 yards without a walker.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Teresa (Stanford RN) about a referral to a cardiologist or thoracic-cardiosurgeon in FL to follow up with the aneurysm on a blood vessel on my heart. Based on the progress the nerves are making, I'm thinking I can return to work next week. Although, if I get a doctor referral this week...I will try schedule an appointment to discuss my options for the aneurysm either this week or next week (as soon as I can).

Both incisions on my head seem to be healing well. The sutures on the right side have not dissolved yet. The doctors used staples on the left side (these were removed before I left the hospital). As noted by Dr. Steinberg, the area around the incisions are numb and always will be (which is really weird). I've had a couple dull headaches, but nothing a few Tylenol hasn't been able to fix. Part of my daily regimen for the rest of my life is to take an Aspirin and drink 3 liters of water. I cannot wear any tight fitting glasses that could pinch off the blood vessel feeding into the right side of my head (the area where the sideburns start, above my ear).

No comments:

Post a Comment