[J] We discovered a new variable to the mental health equation, Mh(T, H, A, P), today; A for aches. Atrophy is starting to become noticeable. Marisa's legs are sore after short walks down the hallway. The lumbar drain forces her to lie in the same position, on her back, most of the day. Staying comfortable without moving much, is not possible. Fortunately A only has a moderate influence on Mh; however, if t turns from a constant to a variable, A could go non-linear.
Speaking of t, we expect to get discharged from the hospital on Sunday, but it's not guaranteed. The lumbar drain will be clamped tomorrow(Saturday). By Sunday CSF levels will return to normal. At that time they are going to turn Marisa upside down and shake her (or maybe just ask her to lean forward). If no CSF pops out, our hospital stay is over. If she drips, then we endure another week. Sunday is kind of like Groundhog Day.
The nurses' lack of understanding of lumbar drain mechanics still frustrates me. Over the last few days, nobody has set her drain wildly wrong. As a result, Marisa's headache pain has been low, but I'm not sure her fistula (head hole) has been kept as dry as it could have been. I'm fairly certain Marisa's bad headache was a direct result of the nightshift nurse's ignorance. I still worry that I'll walk in one morning and see the siphon sitting on the floor or swinging from the ceiling. If the pen is mightier than the sword, I figure that PowerPoint must be about a grenade. I created an eight page presentation that explains the unnecessary risks associated with the current lumbar drain procedures and recommends ways to reduce them. So far one nurse and one resident have reviewed the presentation. The nurse agrees with me and wants to talk to the person in charge of training. The doctor sort of agrees with me, but believes the current procedures are good enough and that nurses are not capable of any higher level of understanding. I suppose risk tolerance varies according to one's perspective.
...and yes, I believe the Mh schtick has probably run its course.
No comments:
Post a Comment