After just over 2 weeks in the hospital (17 days to be exact), I was finally allowed to be discharged this afternoon. I am so thankful that this day has come. This second surgery has been the roughest 17 days of my life by far. Each day was filled with so many ups and downs...it was mentally draining at times. It was hard to think that I would ever get released from the hospital with all the complications that seemed to stack on top of each other. As you may have read from John's posts, it seemed like I was a statistical improbability with each complication that arose.
I am grateful that the surgery to repair the aneurysms seemed to go well. I haven't had any neurological complications. Because of this success, it was hard to get really down on the follow-on complications which included the punctured lung, cerebral spinal fluid leakage, and severe nerve irritation in my back. I can't say I really enjoyed any of the post-op procedures to repair the complications though. Having the chest tube inserted with local anesthesia was not exactly pain free. The insertion of the lumbar drain was even worse. It's hard to describe the pain from that procedure other than to relate it to getting a nail driven through my back. It was even more difficult to endure when the neurosurgeon took two tries to get it in my back. Having to endure almost a week with two sets of tubes sticking out of me didn't motivate me to get out of bed too often. I was surprised how quickly I have lost strength in my legs...I was proud to be able to walk 30 ft on some days.
When the lumbar drain was removed this past Sunday, I was thinking I have finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel. Damn, was I wrong!!!! Three hours after the removal of the drain, I experienced excruciating pain from my back to my legs for over 30 hours. It was so bad, I couldn't sleep or eat or do anything except lay in bed gripping the handles and cussing. The tears were pouring down my eyes...I think I brought some of the staff to tears. It didn't help that the neurosurgeons were hesitant to provide any pain medications for at least a day. I have never experienced such pain for so long ever and I hope I never have to again. I was so drained mentally from the pain on Tuesday...I was begging the nurses and doctors for anything to relieve the pain. I was finally given steroids and an opiate to relieve the pain and inflammation on Tuesday around 8pm. I was finally able to get some sleep on Tuesday night.
The steroids and pain killers help manage the pain, but it hasn't gone away yet. I've been able to walk short distances with a walker. Who ever thought I'd be issued a walker at this age? I've made a little progress each day. John and I are hoping the progress continues so that we can fly back on Monday. We still aren't sure though. I haven't been able to sit in a chair for more that 20 minutes so far.
So glad you've finally been able to get out of that hospital. I'm sure it's a relief just to be able to put on real clothes, take in a huge breath of fresh air, and go on recovering with John by your side! We've been keeping track of everything that's been going on and are so happy for you now that things are looking up. Congrats on the discharge. :)
ReplyDeleteHooray! Congrats on being discharged! We were very happy to hear it. Enjoy your Valentine's Day. You are both very lucky to have eachother!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Nile and Shannon