Friday, December 19, 2008

How it all began - Round 2

The test for what I call "Round 2" was no quite as easy. Based on the results of these tests, I was referred to a neurologist to further review the results and discuss my options. The neurologist briefly explained the Moyamoya disease, but he too sounded doubtful. In order to rule it out, he ordered a Cerebral angiogram for me.

I researched "cerebral angiogram" online, and was very skeptical on going in for this procedure. Why should I get a catheter stuck in a major artery, if it wasn't even doing anything to fix my potential problems? This procedure wasn't exactly risk free, but after many discussions with John it was clear that I needed to get the angiogram performed. I had to find out what was wrong and this was the only way to do so. If I had Moyamoya, I would be putting myself at great risk for a stroke without the proper treatment.

We got to the hospital early, the morning of the angiogram, hoping it would only take a few hours. After two hours of waiting patiently in the hospital room, I was finally taken in to get the angiogram performed. The procedure involved inserting a catheter through my femoral artery in my groin, with only local anesthesia. Dye was injected at various times throughout the procedure to evaluate the carotid arteries leading up to the brain and the blood vessels in my brain. I will spare everyone the details, but let's just say it was a very weird sensation to be able to feel where the dye was getting injected. The procedure went well, but then I found out that clotting is relied on to close the opening in my femoral artery. This meant lying in the hospital for the next 5 hours and being restricted from moving the affected leg and lifting my head. Getting up to go to the bathroom....not an option. Aaagh! I am so glad John was with me, but those 5 hours felt like an eternity when you can't move.

At some point during my stay in the hospital, the surgeon that performed the procedure discussed his preliminary findings with us. He made an attempt to sketch out my carotid arteries on a whiteboard and showed us that he did find narrowing of my internal carotid artery and an occlusion (medical jargon for "blockage") at the artery leading into my brain. He didn't want to say with 100% certainty, but he felt that I had Moyamoya based on the initial pictures he had. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping to hear, especially when you're stuck in a hospital bed for 5 hours.

All this takes us to Friday, December 12, 2008 when I was "officially" diagnosed by my neurologist with Moyamoya disease. Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment