Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Health Insurance woes

I received a call from the Stanford Moyamoya Program Coordinator (Bob P.) to schedule my surgery on Tuesday afternoon. Bob wanted to review when I would have to be there for a series of preliminary tests, complete my registration, and collect my insurance info.

I explained to Bob that I switched health plans and it doesn’t take effect until 1/1/09. Bob explained that with the new health insurance plan, it would at least 30 days for the provider to make a predetermination. This meant that the provider needed to review my paperwork and give the “ok” that they will cover the surgery. It was a little frustrating to hear this…it’s not like I have any other option and I didn’t exactly volunteer for this. Who would get this type of surgery for fun?!?!

According to Bob, the next available surgery date at Stanford is 1/20, but since I don’t receive my new insurance info until 1/1 and with the potential 30 day hold up to authorize the surgery…it was sounding like the surgery date would get pushed out.

Since I’m somewhat of a “ticking b*mb”, John has taken the initiative to see what it would take, with the help of our company’s Benefits Dept., to expedite the process of getting my new insurance info now. This would allow Stanford to start the paperwork with the new provider and increase my chances of getting scheduled for the surgery in late January.


Back to work...I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment