Friday, December 26, 2008

Got plane tickets and a place to stay!!

I started looking for lodging out in California last week when I finally nailed down my surgery date. I knew hotels would be expensive...especially for a 3-4 week minimum stay which is what I'm expecting. I looked on the VRBO site, but there aren't too many rentals in the Palo Alto/Mountain View area. I started to get nervous that housing would end up costing us a fortune. Luckily, Natalie (who works with Stanford Social Services) contacted me this past Tuesday. She explained that there were two housing options that she had available:
  1. HOME apartments which are available only to Stanford patients right next to the hospital. These are 1 bedroom apartments for a patient and caregiver (in this case, John). Since my parents are flying over too, this would leave them high and dry.
  2. A host home which are either spare rooms, independent condos, or apartments provided by local families to patients and/or families of patients at Stanford Hospital for the duration of treatment or hospital stay. In this case, it was a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in Mountain View.
Even though the 2 bedroom condo is in Mountain View which is about 15 minutes away from the hospital, it would allow John, myself, and my parents to stay together. The rate was much more reasonable than a hotel room. It's also more "homey" than a hotel room and it has a washer, dryer, and kitchen. I'm hoping this means my mom will cook for us while we are out there.

I spoke with Sue P., who coordinates accommodations at this condo, earlier today. She was very nice and understanding. She understood that I wouldn't know how long I would have to be out at Stanford until I got through some of my tests. She explained that the previous patient that stayed in this condo was a heart patient and I would be the 2nd patient staying there. I haven't spoken with the couple that owns the condo, but I will be soon to work out the lease and details. I have to thank them for their hospitality and generosity regarding the rate.

What a relief! I'm so thankful that such a program of host homes exists out at Stanford. Even though we didn't choose the HOME apartments I am amazed that Stanford offers such accommodations for their out of state patients, as well.

I also bought plane tickets tonight. I know John is relieved that I FINALLY bought them after days and days of tracking ticket prices. We are flying out on Saturday, 1/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment