[J] Marisa had a lumbar drain (I call it a spinal tap) inserted a few hours ago. It hurt quite a bit more than the chest tube. It took the doctor two tries to get it right.
She's been a little depressed the last couple of days. The lumbar drain requires her to stay in the hospital another 3-5 days. Our Saturday flight home is still probable, but in jeopardy. Her lung is still punctured. Every day the doctors turn off the suction keeping it inflated and take an X-ray. Every X-ray so far has shown a deflated lung, indicating that her puncture has not healed. I saw one of the X-rays today. The lung was collapsed to about 50% of its normal volume. I'm surprised Marisa doesn't have any shortness of breath.
The lumbar drain was installed to lower her Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) pressure below normal. The lower pressure should stop CSF from leaking through her nose and allow the hole to heal itself. According to the doctor, the lumbar drain has a high probability of fixing the problem. If not we're going in for surgery #3.
Marisa's mood has improved a little over the last hour. I think things should all be down hill from here. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for all of the blog posts and phone calls. They make her feel better.
Hey Kiddo!
ReplyDeleteWe are here for you...It will get better...because you are in all of our prayers and we are cheering you on. Sometimes there are those little rocky roads we have to travel down to make us appreciate the smooth ones. Just think of the stories you get tell everyone.
John, Give our girl a hug from all of us...not to tight though. LOL
Hey kids, we hope you're hanging in there and know that your family is thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers. If you need anything at all, just let us know. Love - Nancy and Denny
ReplyDeleteThinking of you guys a lot John and Marissa. My mom has been keeping me up to date but I just figured out how to read your blogs. I hope the end of all of this is coming soon so you can get your self moving again. Love you!
ReplyDeleteHey girl! Hang in there baby. Sounds like you've been getting the bad end of the stick lately. I'm up since the Steelers won so I'll send you some good ju ju vibes )))))). (Maybe John can sneak you a hole clogging burger from In-N-Out!) Anyway, I am sure you and John are anxious to get home by now but it is better to get it right and stay a little longer. We all miss you here and talk about you every day and can't wait for you to get back.
ReplyDeleteLuv ya, miss ya!!
Cynthia
Still praying for you guys. Hang in there...I know it must be frustrating. Glad the doctors seem to be on the ball and are trying hard to figure this out. We'll be keeping track of what's going on.
ReplyDelete