[J] It's safe to say that the last two days have been the worst yet. Three hours after my last post (around 2:00 pm), Marisa's nerve pain returned. The pain may have been just as intense as the drain insertion itself. Marisa said that the pain fluctuated between 5 and 9 on a scale of 10. This lasted until 9:00 pm. The intense pain came in cycles. On average I would say the pain cycle lasted 30 seconds of every minute. For awhile the intense pain was nearly constant. Marisa has been unable to stand all day. I don't think I've ever seen someone in that much pain before. If I have, not for that much time. It was hard to watch. Later this evening it slowed down. The doctors found a new pain drug that appears to be working. Apparently, back pain is nearly untreatable. She's been asleep since around 9:30. Hopefully this drug continues to work. The steroids are supposed to kick-in and start to reduce swelling in a day or two; resulting in a permanent fix.
Marisa earned a bit of a reputation after her lumbar drain insertion. According to the nurse that was there, Marisa's stoic performance was impressive. Most don't handle the pain so well. As a result, the doctors are not taking her current pain situation lightly. Nerve irritation is a known complication that can occur after having a lumbar drain installed, but I think the doctors are surprised at Marisa's level of pain. If this was happening to anyone but Marisa, I think they would consider the reaction over-dramatic and not do anything differently. Marisa, on the other hand, was given some serious pain meds and has an MRI scheduled to rule-out anything unusual.
As always, I'll keep everyone posted.
hey guys! we finally thought to check the blog after thinking about you for days. OMG what an ordeal poor Marisa has had to endure. We are thinking and praying for you everyday and hope the trip home is soon. Thanks God she has you John as an advocate. All our best, Lil and John
ReplyDeletePS John says good job on the redesigning the drain...make sure you mark it propritery and confidential and get credit for the PATENT!!!!