Thursday, February 5, 2009

A couple ups and downs

John's typing for me. Both arms of my glasses were taken off because they were pushing on my staples and stitches. It's too hard to type and hold the glasses.

So I had a couple of ups and downs since my last entry. They took me off IV yesterday. Which was great, but I forgot to hydrate myself during the day. That sent me on a downward spiral to headache town (a little [J] edit). Headaches were intense. I lost my appetite, took too many drugs, and vomited for the first time. Later, dinner consisted of saltines and water. We finally got the headaches under control, thanks to John, and got a decent night's sleep.

They swapped my central venous catheter for an IV in my wrist yesterday. This is good because central venous catheter infections can get ugly. I was happy to swap tubes.

This morning started out slow. I had a slight headache. Every nurse has said that my lumbar drain is more sensitive than most. I was able to eat some breakfast, but not all of it.

I talked to the residents during their morning rounds. They are going to clamp my brain drain on Saturday and test to see if I'm still leaking on Sunday. Hopefully I will check out after the test.

The thoracic team stopped by. My morning chest X-ray showed a good lung, so they removed my chest tube ([J] T -1.0 & H - 0.5). Another X-ray was done after the tube was removed, and everything looks good. Yeh!!! They also removed my urinary catheter.

I'm down to two tubes; the lumbar drain and IV.

2 comments:

  1. Yeh! 2 more tubes to go. Make sure you get lots of fluids. We want you all better. Hang in there...it's almost over. Hopefully it will warm up by the time you get home...it's freezing down/over here. I swear it felt like it was in the teen's today.
    Hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa and John !

    I just realized I could write with my AIM account...I am so very excited :). I have been reading the blog constantly and can't wait until you come back- I miss my office hall neighbor ! I am glad you are making progess :) A Cat status: Raven likes me, wants to be pet but still wont fetch ! I think that was a ruse; I also would like to think that I taught her to roll over..:) Piper: Not so much- she likes Andrew though so it works out. Andrew is doing an amazing job with the litter box so who knows maybe I can get a cat too :) Well this little note is now a novel- Big hugs and see you soon ! Also you have to go to in and out- Get animal fries: fries-cheese- thousand island dressing and fried onions... Drool I love the deep fried fatty goodness :)

    Miss you !

    Love Hanna and Andrew (Handrew)

    ReplyDelete